Building your own Dyno

Dirt Bike Technical discussion. This is for a little more in depth discussions :-)
Crofter985

Re: Building your own Dyno

Post by Crofter985 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:27 pm

Not getting on so fast. Been a lot of other stuff happening too, usual story.
I did a bit the other day in the starter mounting but I forgot to take a pic of that, it's not finished yet anyway.
I finished the chassis welding today.
It's a terrible picture, it's been cold all day and now it's warmed a bit and got humid, screwed up my phone anyway.
The box section with the legs on is also a guide for the 2nd H beam cross piece. The H beam has locating pins now so it all should ship together easy.
Now got to get that starter in there and the ring gear tooth counter will sit in there too. So not far from a test run.
Well there has been a test of sorts, ha ha, that roller takes a bit of accelerating.

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:16 pm

That is one well built Dyno...
Can't wait to see it spin up.
You should do some Vids and post them on youtube.
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:30 pm

How's this?

http://youtu.be/9xSU-hP1zCg

No electronics or front wheel stay but a friend was visiting and it seemed a good time for a test.

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:21 pm

After my buddy left today I got on to the starter and roller rpm counter.
I finished the machining, drilled and tapped the holes to mount the starter. Spent a bit of time positioning the starter then once it was tacked in place, welded the plate in place.
The ring gear tooth counter was next. Just a stout bit of flat bar with a hole drilled in it, then welded on.
So there was a bit of hooking this and that up. I have left the manual at work so I was just going through the setup from memory, so plenty of room for f**k ups then, the number of teeth on the ring gear had to be entered into the program, also a value for the inertia of the roller. Time for a pull!!!!!
Well it says my old XR has 59hp at the back wheel. Soooo I guess there is a bit of adjustment needed. I would have thought 45-50 max but on the up side the rpm pickup on the plug lead read the rpm ok, the roller rpm read ok, so just need to trim it up and I should be good to go.
So there we go!! Need to get that front wheel chock sorted.

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:16 am

Do you know what's gonna happen when word gets out that you have a bike dyno?
Your shop will be like this

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:03 am

Ha ha, you might be right.
I looked at the xr650 spec and it says 61hp at crank, the revs I found the peak. So it's not so far away, the dyno gives a crank hp value too and that was 71hp, it does this by measuring the coast down with the clutch pulled in. There will be some little thing to adjust. Plus that weather correction unit is still not arrived yet. There is really little point in adjusting anything till I get that.
I need to go back to work now, but if the weather stays like it's been it won't be long till I'm back.
Oh yeh the dyno claimed the XR was making 124ftlbs of torque, not sure why that would be. When the hp was only a 10-20% off, the torque figure must be double. Prolly best get hold of the agent and ask him.

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:25 pm

I asked on the XR650 forum on thumpertalk what the hp of a XR is, answer came back 43 stock, 48 uncorked, both flywheel figures so my readings are way off. Anyhoo, I spoke with the sport devices agent and he suggested it was a option in the setup menu. So I had a look at it yesterday.
I thought I would quickly hook up the A/F ratio gauge (lambda) of the turbo bike. So I drilled a hole in the header and spotted on a sensor bung, the dyno interface has a particular kind of plug at the back for taking 0-5v feeds from sensors and the AEM A/F gauge has a 0-5v output, it's called a microphone plug or a aviation plug on some sites.
The anti climax to this is, I had ordered some plugs, but the one I needed had been wrongly supplied. In addition to this I had ordered a k type thermocouple plug but it was wrong also when it came but that was my mistake. So I could have had both that sampled but no, it was not to be. I have re-ordered plugs and at least some of the legwork has been done in that direction.

So I did a few runs but with similar results to before. So it was not that option that was the root of it. It's quite good fun running the bike on the roller. It's almost like sitting on something living. The bike sure does get hot quick, I have been gathering bits to solve that. I have a 550mm diameter fan that is off a refrigeration unit of some kind, that's for the cooling of the bike and a squirrel cage blower off a steam cleaner of about 150mm for the exhaust extraction, both bought off eBay for a few pounds as new old stock. I am thinking to mount them on a common shaft driven by a 3 or 4hp single phase motor.
I spoke to the sport devices agent for a bit afterwards and he asked me all the things I had done. Think he has sorted it, the calibration thing where you run up the bike slowly on part throttle to a chosen rpm so there is no slippage and it then figures out the rpm ratio between the engine and the roller(the interface box has a rpm pickup that you clip to the plug wire), when I did this I assumed the dyno used this ratio itself, but no, I have to manually enter that value on another window. It makes most sense, I will try that next week when I get finished with work for Christmas.

Just as a BTW, the interface box senses the power of the bolt going through the plug wire but it knows when the engine is on the ignition stroke because with the high cylinder pressure it is a stronger spark, then on the next revolution the engine is exhausting as the spark plug fires but the interface box know not to count that one as its a weaker bolt because of the low cylinder pressure. Now that's a bit clever. There is a option to select for when you are running up a two stroke so no worries Mike. :)

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:41 am

Haha... I wasn't worried :lol:
I have had a few XR650R's and one of mine was dyno'd at 63hp to the rear wheel.
But it had a good bit of kit on it and some head work to get that out of it.
It is a fun bike.
You sure are gonna have fun with that dyno....

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:21 am

Another little bit of interest is that the 4 or 5 pulls I did the hp number kept coming out higher, I was thinking tyre/roller conditions changing.
It's kinda got me thinking along the lines of making a sprocket shaft to roller direct drive to eliminate the tyre slip alltogether when I started thinking about it just now I was thinking shaft as in a 4x4 fwd or rear drive shaft but a chain drive would probably be easiest of the lot.
I really would like good solid results that I could stand by. IDK, perhaps I'm getting carried away. It would put back getting the KLX on the roller and that is what it is all about. ?????

Crofter985

Post by Crofter985 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:36 am

What head work was done to your XRR?

I got some KLX info off a German guy, him and some friends were tuning their KLX's here is what he said:-

"Yes i have dynoed my first KLX. Constellation with Wössner 101mm,FCR41,R-CAM,Ignitech CDI,
R-Air-Box and holeshot muffler. It was 54,6HP! With Hot Cams Stage 1 => 59HP!

An other guy with a similar constellation an Hot Cam's Stage 3 and lightweight magnet wheel has 71HP!!!
But the power of this engine start first at 3800 U/min and ended at 8500 U/min .
I don't like this charakter for a Enduro Bike and it is to much loud!"

I think 8500 rpm is above the normal rev limit but he would have been able to modify that with the ignitec CDI. Oh what fun BHP is !!!

Return to “Dirt Bike Technical discussion”