Cylinder repair

Dirt Bike Technical discussion. This is for a little more in depth discussions :-)
D Bergstrom

Cylinder repair

Post by D Bergstrom » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:55 pm

So digging further into the KX500 I bought months ago and finding more and more issues. Looks like the pipe has worn into the aluminum where it inserts into the cylinder. There was muck everywhere around this area on the cylinder and frame, this is not allowing the pipe to seal up. Is this fixable? If so, who is the best place to send it to? Guessing it would be cheaper to have this cylinder repaired, bored, and re-plated compared to buying a new cylinder for $630.

Thanks,

Doug
Attachments
IMG_0337.JPG
IMG_0337.JPG (71.67 KiB) Viewed 7020 times

Sandblaster

Re: Cylinder repair

Post by Sandblaster » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:59 pm

Hi Doug.
Sorry for the delay in my response but I just took a few days off and disappeared into the desert... 8-)

If you are in the USA I would send it to Tom Morgan

http://www.morganracingengines.com/

If you are in Canada or outside of the USA I would send it to Adam Millar

https://www.facebook.com/MRE500/

Both are super nice guys and both are capable of getting you fixed up.
As far as cost I would ask both to be sure, but my guess is that it will be in the neighborhood of 400
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

D Bergstrom

Post by D Bergstrom » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:51 am

No worries, I am jealous you got to disappear into the desert for a few days! I am in the U.S., so I will contact Tom Morgan.

Thanks,

Doug

D Bergstrom

Post by D Bergstrom » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:00 pm

Figured I would post an update. sent my cylinder to Tom Morgan, got it back last Friday. He repaired the exhaust area, and sent the cylinder out to be re-plated to the piston I also purchased from him. Very happy with his work, price was reasonable and I would recommend him to anyone. Now I just have to wait for all my parts I ordered from Kawasaki and get this thing back together.

Doug

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:25 pm

Oh yeah, Tom is a very capable builder and working in a top of the line plating facility has advantages :lol:
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Return to “Dirt Bike Technical discussion”