1987 Suzuki RM125 should I restore it?

Need help with your dirt bike?
Feel free to ask.
Sandblaster

1987 Suzuki RM125 should I restore it?

Post by Sandblaster » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:29 pm

Good afternoon,
I have a 1987 Suzuki RM 125 from a friend and would like to restore it. The bike is missing the entire upper end from cylinder to exhaust to carb. Was thinking about putting another complete engine as I am unsure the condition of the crankcase. Or should i just junk the bike and start with something else. Do you have parts for a 1987 Suzuki RM 125 or parts that are interchangeable. Any help will be appreciated.
Mark D.

Hi Mark.
Since we are a Used parts business our inclination is to say sure, rebuild it.
However, here are some points to consider.
The bike is 25, almost 26 years old.
Parts are getting harder to come by for it every day.
After about 10 years all the manufactures stop stocking many of the parts you will eventually need.
If you plan on riding it a lot parts will wear out and break more frequently on average then a bike that is only 10 years old.
So, where do you get the parts when the manufactures don't have them?
There are companies like us that specialize in used dirt bike parts but we are limited to what we have on hand as we never know what is coming in the door next.
Also you can find parts available on eBay.
However, you will find that the parts you want are typically the hardest to find in good condition.
Right now you can find all our Suzuki 125 parts by year here:
http://www.oem-cycle.com/suzukirm125.shtml
Currently we do not have any parts for the 1987 but we do have parts from a 1986 and a 1989.
The interchange info we have currently can be found here:
http://www.oem-cycle.com/SUZUKIRM125BIKEID.shtml
If there is interchange info that you need that is not on our chart, let me know and I will look them up and update our chart.
As far as the bottom end, the only way you'll know for sure the condition of the one you have is to take it apart and check all the specs from a Clymer Manual.
So here is my take on it.
If your going to ride it a lot, you would be better off getting a late 90's to early 2000's 125 as parts availability is much higher, you'll have better resale if and when that time comes, and you will have a more modern chassis for better handling.
If you want to ride it a little and can find the parts, or if you plan on restoring it and hanging it on the wall, then by all means restore it.
Finally the last factor to consider and it is usually the one that motivates most bikers..... If you love it..... Fix it.
You'll never be as happy with a bike you don't love regardless of cost, reliability, and handling.
I hope this helps.

Joe
Operations Manager
www.oem-cycle.com
Quality used dirt & dual sport bike parts
541-603-2993
3811 Cross St.
Eugene, OR 97402
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Return to “Questions about your bike?”