Brutes 2000 KX5 Street SuMo Build

Bike Builds and rebuilds. Post pics and discuss your projects.
Sandblaster

Brutes 2000 KX5 Street SuMo Build

Post by Sandblaster » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:13 am

Brute

Here are a couple of pics of the project. First is all the nice bits scattered around the bike.
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 1.jpg
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 1.jpg (777.93 KiB) Viewed 6018 times
Second is a shot from the back with a plate frame and personalized plate off of one of my crotch rockets from '92. Used it to mark and drill the holes in the fender. Can not see the mirrors but they are pretty much where I want them. The control switch cluster is on the left bar.
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 2.jpg
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 2.jpg (708.24 KiB) Viewed 6018 times
Going to leave the engine stock. It was running good at the end of last year so will probably leave it alone. MZB 100 watt lighting coil is already installed. Should be fun once I get it done. Will take pics and post as I move along. No, I will not be putting the personalized plate and heavy plate frame on this bike, though the plate name probably fits this one better!
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Sandblaster

Re: Brutes 2000 KX5 Street SuMo Build

Post by Sandblaster » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:16 am

Foxx4Beaver
is that a hand/home made pipe guard, or did you buy it?...I like it.
that thing's gonna look sweet when it's done.

sandblaster
I'll be watching with great interest

Motorrad
Me to

Brute
Ya! You guys are making bets on if I ever get it done! wink I have read and seen some builds on here that are WAY nicer then mine will ever be. Function over style is my motto. grin
You have me convinced on the under plug temp gauge after reading around. Will probably put on both since the info of what temps 'should' be are so readably available on the site. Changing mix oil smiley so I will want to keep my eye on it.

Foxx4Beaver
you'll get it done...even if you're in Pampers by that time

Brute
Hey Foxx, missed your question. I think this older pic will explain what you are seeing. Spark arrestor. Not guard. cheesy And an ugly one at that!
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 3.jpg
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 3.jpg (392.91 KiB) Viewed 6017 times

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:21 am

Foxx4Beaver
ahhh, silly me...after 39 years of being involved with dirt bikes, and I still don't know the difference between a pipe guard and a spark arrestor tongue cheesy
so what I'm seeing here is not a guard of any kind?
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 1.jpg
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 1.jpg (777.93 KiB) Viewed 6017 times
Brute
Oh THAT! Was on the bike when I got it. There is a matching one over the rear brake master cylinder. Look home made to me, but someone here may know better. I will take a better pic if you want more detail but it looks like fairly thin 'stippled' aluminum formed to fit.

Foxx4Beaver
you don't have to take any other pics....I kinda figured it was a home made job, I haven't seen one like it before....
sorry for the sarcasm...feel free to return any crass gestures anytime

Brute
No need to apologize for the sarcasm. When you are talking to someone that appears as dense as a board (me) it is to be expected. grin I work daily with (I am one) many 'ground floor' workin' folk and the smart ass, rude, sarcastic entertaining conversations that go with it. Yesterdays included masterbation, tracking chips in flu shots tongue, street gangs, motorcycles, double d's, Union issues and management. I have so many tire tracks on my back they look like moguls. cheesy But do not despair,,, I will not disappoint...

Brute
Finally got around to trying the form with .93 ABS. Though the sheet was too small for the stretch I thought I would try it anyway. Oops. The good thing is it allowed me to see that it might have been a tiny bit too short but there was room to add a spacer to the bottom of it.
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 5.jpg
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 5.jpg (774.26 KiB) Viewed 6017 times
So on to fiberglass. Taped the form and base with strapping tape, mixed a little black pigment with the resin, and 'glassed 'er up. Did it last night so have not been to the shop to check it yet. Yes, that is a signed Malcolm Smith poster. Had a fun few hours visiting with him a couple years ago. He is really as nice as he seems. Still rides!
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 6.jpg
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 6.jpg (742.3 KiB) Viewed 6017 times

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:23 am

Box trimmed with battery in place.
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 7.jpg
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 7.jpg (609.21 KiB) Viewed 6017 times
Box in bike. As was said in the movie 'Babe'; "That'll do pig, that'll do..."
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 8.jpg
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 8.jpg (624.56 KiB) Viewed 6017 times
Interesting note; The piece of wood I used dried and warped after I cut it down. Makes the battery a tight fit.

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:26 am

Motorrad

Dam that's clean. I may have to copy that ideas for bat box

Brute
Got a couple things done. Roughed out front turn signal mounts. Need to round the corners and clean them up a bit but I think that is where they will be.
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 9.jpg
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 9.jpg (549.46 KiB) Viewed 6017 times
REALLY avoiding pulling the screws out of the brake rotor on the rear wheel. Hoped ProCycle would change it for me when I bought the new one. Hey! They had my hub!!! cheesy They probably looked at the heads of them and said "No Way!" and just sent the new screws with it. Really hosed up. Was a hub I bought off Ebay, so at least I did not chew them up.

Finally got back to rounding off the corners of the brackets and mounting them permanently. May do a bit more to them but they are good for now.
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 9-1.jpg
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 9-1.jpg (642.4 KiB) Viewed 6017 times
Took a couple hours off work to do a 48 mile each way run to buy a couple Baxley motorcycle stands for a great price. Now I have four! Might need one more..

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:43 am

After getting the 'honey do' list done today I puttered around in the shop and finally decided to stop dicking around and work on getting the old rear rotor off, for better or worse. Did a lot of broken and stuck bolts over the years on old bikes and when I worked at the Electric Motor and Pump Shop. Pumps and electric motors on ocean going boats take a beating!
Dug the Oxy/Acet set out and was showing 15 lbs on the Acetylene bottle. Have not even used it for at least 10 years. Put my smallest tip on and started pulling bolts. There was a couple of hosed up ones but with the hammer driver and the heat five came out with only a little effort. The last one was really hosed up. After determining it was not coming out 'normally' I used my first line of pulling stuck allen head bolts.
I drove a Torx bit into it with my short hand sledge, put the heat to it and smacked it with the hammer driver. BOOM! Out it came! Not near the pain in the rear I thought it would be. Excellent!
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 9-2.jpg
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 9-2.jpg (694.64 KiB) Viewed 6016 times
sandblaster
Yep, I have removed a few thousand of them and you hit the nail on the head, without heat your beating a dead horse.
I use map gas and hit the bolt for about 30 seconds.
Usually that's enough to get them right out.
Oxy/Acet will do it MUCH faster smiley
Hammer driver? Mandatory...

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:48 am

I did a search for info on the 320mm front brake rotor install to save some trouble but no joy. No instructions included with it other then basic 'make sure it fits without binding'.
Looks like the stock line routing is not going to work, the line brackets will have to go and I will have to pull the line up pins (at least one) out of the caliper to
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 9-3.jpg
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 9-3.jpg (818.46 KiB) Viewed 6016 times
install into the new parts. Ah yes, the joys of modifying stuff!

sandblaster
Hmmm..
Here's how I routed mine.
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 9-4.jpg
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 9-4.jpg (82.25 KiB) Viewed 6016 times
Brute
Looks like the line routing will work. The lower bracket is touching the rotor and that is where I stopped. Figured the whole thing might need to move. Not sure my EBC bracket looks like yours. I will look closer at it before mounting. The rotor bolts were incorrect that were sent with the kit so now I am wondering if something is amiss.

sandblaster
Yeah, I didn't think my EBC set up was gonna work at first either.
But, as you can see it will work with not much to spare.

Brute
Limited. Couple nights! Cleaned my fish then went over and helped him clean his 28. Worked on the bike when I got home and finalized the wheel location, hose routing and such. Loctited the bolts and finished the front wheel. The plan to swap dirt tires is probably not going to happen unless I get another 320mm disc for the dirt wheel. cheesy My bracket IS different from yours! Pulled the top bolt and installed the hose bracket after this was taken.
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 9-5.jpg
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 9-5.jpg (590.12 KiB) Viewed 6016 times
into rain on the wet side. It is raining buckets right now.

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:49 am

Finally got the rear wheel on. Rock (foam) filter cover I have been working on is in the foreground. May have a bit more time to work on the bike now that it is mostly done. tongue
Bike is looking better! Walked by it and hooked my pant leg on the 'bendable' turn signal which broke off. Hmmm. Looks like I will be able to repair it though.
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 9-6.jpg
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 9-6.jpg (830.25 KiB) Viewed 6014 times
The light pulled out of the rubber and looks like it was just glued in.

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:39 am

sandblaster
If you have never rode a K5SM your in for a treat cheesy
Looks good... I'd trim the front fender a bit though.... Going down the freeway a 70 or so the stock fender isn't real happy.

Brute
I have a fender off of a crotch rocket I have been playing with...

Bagged the crotch rocket fender and cut the original to the same length from the mount holes to the end as the rear part of the fender is. Made a template off of the end of the front part of the fender and used that to cut the end off so to give it the same profile as the original.
Also routed wires and drilled some holes to route them where I wanted them to go. Ended up cutting the 'custom' harness to make it fit better so will solder and shrink wrap the sections I will use back on. No pics this time.
First time I have actually attached the headlight unit where I want it to go. I think it will look good. Repaired the broken turn signal as well. Making progress!

Motorrad
Awesome. Moving right along. It's closer to running than mine

Brute
Got more wiring done today. Hooked up the battery and checked out the lights. Turn Signals, tail and brake lights all light up like they are supposed too. Tying and wrapping things up. Have to make some brackets for the flasher unit, and horn. Also need to install the pressure switches on the brake lines and run another wire for the front switch. Headlight and speedo will be last to install but I am still a ways away from that. Forgot that I had a 15 tooth front sprocket to put on until I found it in the bottom of the box of parts! Oops! Moving along!

Dang this wiring and street crap is taking forever!
Had a bunch of stuff going on plus cataract surgery on my left eye. Still moving along though. Here are a couple of views of where it is at. Side and front. Very close to getting it checked out for the plate. Got a weird thing going on though. The LED flasher does not seem to like the battery going below 12.9 volts or it will not operate. Even stuck a 2 amp charger on it then turned on lights to bring it below that and it would work intermittently. All soldered connections. Used the wiring that came with the unit. Seems to be heavy enough wiring. May try a jumper to put an extra battery wire to the switch to see if that works. Always something or nothing at all
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 9-7.jpg
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 9-7.jpg (703.5 KiB) Viewed 6014 times
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 9-8.jpg
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 9-8.jpg (769.09 KiB) Viewed 6014 times

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:42 am

sandblaster
I hate wiring.
It was the hardest thing to do for me.
And it's still not right.
But it works good enough for now.

Brute
I don't mind it so much but as OCD as I am I get really frustrated when things do not work perfectly. Not sure why it is not working at this point other then the LED flasher unit is not working correctly.
Even though amps is what you need to make things work usually the volts will drop off with a load when pulling power and are easier to measure.
This is holding at 12.9 (from 13.25) with my lithium battery when things are turned on. Lights are all bright and do not dim, which would be another clue.
If I turn on the signals first and let them run for a few seconds they will stay on when I hit the lights but not the other way. Sounds like low power but a voltage check at the flasher unit shows 12.9 v also.
Probably will put a charge in the batt and try again. Irritating.

Ims Roll
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/115 ... fgodBxUA2A
Installed 4 of these (ktm 530, 525, 300, and a KDX 220) complete harness nothing plugs into the wiring of the bike. and they make a kit that comes with a rechargeable battery that lasts tons of hours running the tail light signals and horn.. There every bit as good as the baja designs ones i've seen, LED tail light ect.

Brute
Not to mention the $500 lighting stator... shocked It will all be good.

Foxx4Beaver
I never realized how "little" time that bike appears to have...I like it!

Brute
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 9-9.jpg
BRUTES 2000 KX500 SUMO BUILD 9-9.jpg (990.11 KiB) Viewed 6014 times
Well, I think it is done. Thought it was done this morning but while cleaning up saw a wire with a 'thing' on the end and realized I had not put the speedometer pickup on it. after making a bracket, running the wire and glueing in a magnet I 'think' it is done again. smiley
Will fire it off tomorrow. Checked for spark while the plug was out and it has spark. Kick stand 'may' be short enough but a strong breeze might blow it over. Have to park on a hill or put the stand in a depression for safety. Or just cut the thing down. undecided
I will call the place about inspecting it for a plate today and see what they need.
Took long enough!

Return to “Bike Builds and rebuilds”