Wrapping up this build is a bit scary.
Oscar is assembling the bike down in S. Cal.
He should be able to put some heat cycles on it and ride it on Friday to break it in.
Sean races on Saturday
What we did to this engine to freshen it up was not what we wanted to do.
It was all we were allowed to do.
I saw a lot of room for improvement but that was just the point.
They didn't want any improvements other then longevity and better shifting.
I will get more into that later.. Cool things are coming
But here is the basic list:
Disassemble, clean, and carefully inspect EVERYTHING.
Vapor blast all the aluminum, and polish everything that could be polished, head, trans gears, trans shafts, ect.
Replaced all the shift components with used but in spec parts.
All were hand polished.
Replaced the clutch plates.
Hand ground the dogs on the trans gears.
Replaced the piston and Ring set with a very low hour set from my own bike.
Every bearing, seal, and gasket, was replaced.
Hand filed the clutch basket ears and the clutch hub, then polished them.
The left engine case was replaced as the existing one was junk.
Hand lapped the cases, cylinder, and head.
Disassembled the carb, cleaned it thoroughly, reset the floats, and set the screws to how they were when we received it.
It really could have used a plate job but we just didn't have the time or the money to do it.
Also, some of the gears were pretty poor but I think after Jason tuned them up they should be ok for a while.
So, it wasn't what we would have liked to do but it should survive until we get Sean's new bike built.
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.