Building a 1988 Suzuki RM250 engine

Bike Builds and rebuilds. Post pics and discuss your projects.
rocket03

Re: Building a 1988 Suzuki RM250 engine

Post by rocket03 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:13 pm

Mike, there is "26C" on each of the three main pieces on the clutch.

I broke down and ordered a Mitaka basket online today. I couldn't locate any 88 specific clutch pieces so this was the only other option. I drilled out a gear from the second basket I have and hope it works. I also ordered a new rack pin, spacer, washers, etc. for the clutch just for piece of mind.

I used the parts, minus the basket, that came in the bike when I bought it. I broke the basket and tossed it like a dumbass! I thought I had the same types in the parts bin but was wrong.

I tried again today with another cover but had the same problem. I did notice my kick spring leans out into the engine on the left side when it's wound. Not sure if that is contributing to the tough time getting the clutch covers on or not. Should they slide on easily or is a little bit of playing required?

Another thing I noticed but don't know if it's a bad thing or not is when I shift the bike into gear with the clutch parts off, it doesn't seem to go into gear or lock the sprocket. If the clutch is assembled onto the bike, it will lock.

I think I bit off a bit more than I can chew on this project. I could have bought something nearly new with what I've spent! :-)

rocket03

Post by rocket03 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:18 pm

MIke, there's not supposed to be a small ball bearing that sits under the rack pin in the case, is there? People are insisting this is why my clutch won't pull but the diagrams do not show a ball bearing in there!

Also, clutch plates are 15 total, 7 drive and 8 of the driven....or visa versa.. :-)

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:23 am

If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:24 am

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:27 am

Just verifying... Is this the clutch and cover you are running?

rocket03

Post by rocket03 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:17 pm

Mike, yes, that is the clutch setup diagram.

Today, I tried putting on an old set of clutch plates and springs to see if that did anything. Still nothing is moving. I have a short video clip of the pin with the cover on trying to move it. It will turn and push the cover plate off if I push the lever to the left. If I push to the right, the direction it should go, nothing.

https://www.facebook.com/ken.veze.3/vid ... 181890883/

Also are photos of the gear alignment you were questioning me about as well as the clutch springs. The new springs seem to be a tad bit longer than the old ones I used today but obviously that didn't matter. Oh, the old clutch drive plates, the metal ones, are a hair thinner over the new ones I ordered as well.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=59F90435

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:03 pm

The only link that is working is the one to the twp springs.

Here is the error message I am getting:
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.

Likely you have the pics set up for friends only.

rocket03

Post by rocket03 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Mike, someone on a board I'm in has stated that his 88 clutch did the same thing. He says it cannot be moved by hand and that is extremely tight feeling. I thought I'd be able to have the clutch release when the cable was hooked up and the lever pulled. Mine sure doesn't.

rocket03

Post by rocket03 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:23 pm

Thanks for the links in to your Facebook groups. I'm kind of hesitant to post anything Suzuki related as they seem like KX groups. :-)

Anyway, I'm just going to install all the new clutch parts I have coming in for the RM250, button the case back up, and just go with it. It's either going to work or it's not. If I burn it up then I know something isn't right. I following all the diagrams and manual instructions so it might just be the way it is. I'll find out the hard way as usual if wrong! :-)

Also had to send my rear shock out for a rebuild as I sat on the bike for the first time yesterday and noticed I had no rebound and the shock felt "off". At least I'll have peace of mind now as far as that goes.

Return to “Bike Builds and rebuilds”