2013 Suzuki RMZ450 Review by Steve O OEM-CYCLE consultant

If you have used a product, let us know how well it works.
Steve O

Re: 2013 Suzuki RMZ450 Review by Steve O OEM-CYCLE consultan

Post by Steve O » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:52 am

Revalve the front forks or just step up to the plate and drop a set of Ohlins ttx cartridges in it. Mucho bueno! Reducing the fork oil makes a big difference as well and is mucho cheapo. Therooster is spot on with 310 in each leg. Its exactly what i did for now. But Ohlins cartridges are in the near future for me. ;)

therooster

Post by therooster » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:50 pm

Kawi was actually my first choice but the financing sucked so I went with the RMZ. I would recommend dialing in the SFF fork before you go ride it or ride it first and tune to your liking. The stock set up is pretty stiff and if you read the reviews just about everyone agreed. Check this article out, http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News ... 1bab6.aspx
I ended up setting my suspension up exactly how they did at the very bottom of the article and it's a huge improvement over stock. Other than that the bike is awesome. Just had another buddy buy one and he loves it. He's an older guy that used to race back in the day but still rips it up and is a pro mechanic as well.

therooster

Post by therooster » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:58 pm

Steve O....Ohlins cartridges? How much and what is the hype? I've been talking to different suspension companies like RG3, Factory Connection, and Pro Circuit and they seem to have a solution to make the fork perform better by just revalving. How is the FMF slip on? Did you get the Aluminum one? Did you have to remap or change air fuel setting to make it work? looking into a system as well!

Steve O

Post by Steve O » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:19 pm

Rooster- they run about $1200.00. No hype they are the real deal. The one thing I have not done is compare the Ohlins back to back with a revalve under the new fork design. I have in the past run revalved forks then ran the Ohlins cartridge kit and there was no comparison. The Ohlins kit was smoother and more compliant all around. Its like cutting steak with a "dull knife" then busting out the Ginsui and cutting it like butter. Regarding the exhaust; the bike seemed a little plugged up like with any spark arrestor. I recently removed the arrestor and ran it at the track. The bike rips! I could not tell you by the seat of my pants if it had more grunt than the stock system. No remap at this point it ran great with the mid map installed. I really think doing some dyno work would be the only way to tell if its lean or rich so it must be really close. The slip on was purchased from OEM-Cycle. :mrgreen:

Return to “Product Review”