Why are AF (Aluminum Frame) conversions so popular?

General discussion.
What's on your mind?
Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:20 pm

For some it may be nostalgia.
Remember when?......
For others it may be cost.
What does a new top end for 2 stroke cost?
Now, compare that with the cost of a new 4 stroke top end and you will find a huge difference.
Still, others do it for the cool factor, technical challenge, satisfaction of a job well done, or just wanting to be different.
For me it's all about performance.
Regardless of the reason, the bulk of the big manufactures are not offering what we want so we are left with buying one at about 12k from a reputable after market source such as Service Honda or building it ourselves.
Since I can't see paying double for a dirt bike over what I bought my first new car for, I choose to build my own.
This is a area where the big manufactures are inadvertently helping us out.
There is a glut of ultra modern, high tech, aluminum chassis, with blown motors available for about 1000 bucks.
If a bike is more than a few years old you will have more into rebuilding it then what it is worth.
In order to keep the cost down I purchased two bikes, one with a blown engine and one with a good engine.
I kept the parts I wanted and sold the rest.
After selling the parts I wasn't going to use I was in it for nothing.
However, it takes a while to sell the parts individually so be patient and you'll be happy.
My plan is to rebuild my donor engine, get the suspension revalved and re-sprung, add a few goodies and still be in it for about 2k.
To see my progress, check the link below:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=69
The idea is to end up with a bike that has all the modern goodies with handling to match as well as the brutal hit of 500cc 2 stroke :)
Please feel free to comment and give us your own opinions.
Thanks!
SB
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

81cr450

Re: Why are AF (Aluminum Frame) conversions so popular?

Post by 81cr450 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:32 am

"There is a glut of ultra modern, high tech, aluminum chassis, with blown motors available for about 1000 bucks."

Yup that & being able to buy a whole new motor donor bike "500cc" for another grand & viola best motor newer suspension . Its economics really , if you figure rebuild a lower powered motor for $2000+ or get more power for $1000 thats easier to maintain & more reliable, what are you going to do?

Sandblaster

Re: Why are AF (Aluminum Frame) conversions so popular?

Post by Sandblaster » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:34 am

You know what I did 8-)
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Return to “Dirt Bike General Discussion”