New guy... tips appreciated

General discussion.
What's on your mind?
Maikkeli

New guy... tips appreciated

Post by Maikkeli » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:17 pm

Greetings!
Im from finland so excuse my writing. :oops:
Im planning on getting a KX500 and making it streetlegal with some moto wheels of course.
I have my sights on a 88´ KX5 and i was wondering what parts are interchangeable with the newer models?
Also hows the 88´ engine? Ive read the cylinder is somewhat different compared to the others, is it hard to find spare parts for that particular make and how is it overall compared to the newer ones? :?
Ive done some research but to be honest im completely new on the bike front. (Im a car mechanic)
Anyhow hopefully ill be owning a KX500 soon and any recommendations/tips are more than welcome. ;)

Sandblaster

Re: New guy... tips appreciated

Post by Sandblaster » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:52 am

Welcome to the forum!
First, look at this page:

http://oem-cycle.com/KAWASAKIKX500BIKEID.shtml

Scroll down and way to the right and it will give you a good idea on what parts interchange..
I'm tied up tonight but I will spend some time tomorrow answering the rest of your questions.
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:42 pm

Im planning on getting a KX500 and making it streetlegal with some moto wheels of course.

Street legal K5's are extremely fun.
The biggest drawback is range.
With a stock tank you might get 45 miles if you are twisting hard on the throttle so bring some oil with you :lol:

I have my sights on a 88´ KX5 and i was wondering what parts are interchangeable with the newer models?

I posted a link to interchange info above.

Also hows the 88´ engine? Ive read the cylinder is somewhat different compared to the others, is it hard to find spare parts for that particular make and how is it overall compared to the newer ones? :?

The 86-88 Engine is powerful but lacks a center exhaust valve so they do not have as broad of torque as the 89-04 but have all the horsepower if you build them correctly.

Ive done some research but to be honest im completely new on the bike front. (Im a car mechanic)

I have no formal mechanic, machinist, or motorcycle training of any type.
But there is a lot of good info on this site as well as there are some really good guys with a lot of knowledge so ask any questions you want.

Anyhow hopefully ill be owning a KX500 soon and any recommendations/tips are more than welcome.

We can't wait to see what you come up with :ugeek:

Maikkeli

Post by Maikkeli » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:07 pm

All the viable candidates got sold before i got to see them :evil:
Still i have a question about the frame ids since their different here.
Heres one for example KX500E-000282.
Didnt find any numbers from the forums that would explain which year model would it be. Maybe im just too thick? :?
I guess ill just find out if i can even get one of these on the road legally and hope one comes on sale!

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:55 am

I have very little on Non US frame numbers but I can tell you that it is PRE 92

20140032_1897387777195212_2957995356968677535_n.jpg
20140032_1897387777195212_2957995356968677535_n.jpg (97.24 KiB) Viewed 9526 times

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:56 am

Do you have any pictures of the bike?
If so post them..
Sometimes a graphic, sticker, or seat style will help ID the chassis..

Maikkeli

Post by Maikkeli » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:15 am

No that was just from a frame for sale.
Very limited amount of k5's for sale her im afraid.
Plus if i can register one itll have to be one made before 91 because emissions...

Maikkeli

Post by Maikkeli » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:36 am

Alright i found a K5 i might go check on the weekend/next week.
Heres some photos of the bike.
https://m.nettimoto.com/kawasaki/kx/218 ... 0&vifNav=Y
Says the engine has been serviced 10 years ago runs good and it's been sitting in a garage since that, also theres something that needs to be done with the brakes (doesn't specify).
Ill give the guy a call and if i can negotiate about the price i'll definetly go check the bike out.
Any tips what to check specifically if i go check it out?

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:52 pm

Maikkeli

Post by Maikkeli » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:42 pm

Greetings again!

Ok so the only way possible for me to get a KX500 streetlegal in Finland seems to be getting one from the states.
Now the biggest thing i need to know more about streelegal bikes in the states is about the registration documents or whatever theyre called.
In order for me to get a KX500 streetlegal (in Finland) it pretty much has to be a 1990 model or earlier because of emissions.
Does the registration documents state (in the states) the date when the bike has been taken to use the first time or does it only state the registration day?
They determine which years registration laws are used (in Finland) according to either the date of registation or the date when the vehicle was first taken to use.
Now obviously i need it to be on that magic 1990 number in order to make it happen :(
Now the problem why its impossible to get a bike from Finland Registered is because i dont think anyone has one registered one or have anything to prove the date of purchase or have insured one on the day the bought one=they would use current registration laws and good luck with those emissions. :D
So all in all i just need some proof that the bike has been used since 1990 (the year model wont cut it)

Sorry this is probably abit confusing but i cant help it since it is actually annoyingly confusing. :?

Return to “Dirt Bike General Discussion”