Sean Colliers New KX500

General discussion.
What's on your mind?
USMC 500

Sean Colliers New KX500

Post by USMC 500 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:21 am

Hey fellow dirt bike fanatics!! I along with Sandblaster have been tasked with building Sean's new KX500. Parts are already being created and phone calls are already being made. We have big plans for this bad boy as well as the current KX500. Read the written summary in the link and you'll understand what is being done. I only ask one favor.......I have already gotten tons of positive feedback on this but I have also gotten 1 very unprovoked negative PUBLIC comment on social media. I ask that if you don't share the same view as I do that is fine, but please no negative comments. BRAAAAAAP!!

https://www.gofundme.com/2gujge8k
KX Guru Racing logo 2.jpg
KX Guru Racing logo 2.jpg (161.03 KiB) Viewed 4340 times

Sandblaster

Re: Sean Colliers New KX500

Post by Sandblaster » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:29 am

To follow along with the actual build, go to our bike build section:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1170

Updating almost daily :lol:
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Sandblaster

Re: Sean Colliers New KX500

Post by Sandblaster » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:34 pm

Recently there has been some concerns expressed about the Sean Collier Build.
That is to be expected...
Here is some info that Oscar provided.
For the doubters, just sit back, relax, and watch the show...
Be prepared to be amazed and confused :lol:

Hello everyone, this is Oscar Cota of KX Guru Racing. I have been at this site in the past looking for information but never became a member. Earlier tonight I got a phone call informing me about this thread and I though what better time to join VITALMX.

I will attempt to answer everything that I read that appeared to be a question or concern to the best of my ability. I completely understand why there are those who would question the validity of this Go Fund Me page so I will do the best I can to set your mind at ease. I would like to also ask that if you don't agree, believe or like what we are doing, please don't feel the need to post hateful negative comments. If you don't agree, that is fine and I respect that however please give the same respect and move on. I will say that some work has already been started. The engine is currently at KX Guru Racing torn open and being inspected. Because this build is very personal to us, KX Guru Racing and its associates are charging Sean ZERO labor and believe me when I say that there are hundreds of man hours that will be involved in putting this project together. This does not include the man hours from years of previous R&D or the man hours behind the computer and the phone putting things in motion. The cost of this project comes in the form of parts and labor services that we don't control like cylinder plating. With that being said we plan on racing more once this project is complete. So lets now address these questions.......

Future Events?

Sean always has plans to race the usual events like Mammoth, Day in the Dirt, MTA Two Stroke Nationals, Etc. If you are asking are going to line up next to Ryan Dungey's 450 at the next National the answer is definitely NO. The AMA did away with 500cc motorcycles at the Nationals after 1993 and to my limited knowledge even changed the rules to exclude the displacement. It would be a dream come true if that were the case to see where a modernized KX500 would stack up against a field of 450's but not likely to happen. We can't begin solid planning until the project reaches a certain stage. We would love to race the KX500 anywhere that the racing organization rules will allow. I have even mentioned the possibility of chasing a Vet title now that Sean is 31. We don't have a date set to unveil this project as it is still in the early stages and we can't yet estimate when it will be complete. Completion will be determined by budget and funding. Once the project begins to take shape and we have a rough estimate of completion we can then begin planning its first event. The current KX500 has done a great job and is holding strong.....unfortunately there is currently only 1 KX500 which has to function as the practice bike, PR photo shoot bike and race bike. Once this project is complete it will become the new Beast and the current bike will become the backup/practice bike. Having 2 KX500's will allow participation in more events. The only future event that I will comment on will be this Saturday when I take Sean to a track with 3 differently tuned and setup KX500's, one of them being mine and my personal CR500AF for testing. The purpose of this test will be for Sean to experience multiple engine and chassis characteristics so he can give us a better idea of how to build his engine and set up his chassis to his style.

T-Shirts?

This is an awesome idea and believe it or not this idea came up within our group recently. I even have an image and layout I have created that we could potentially use. Nothing would excite me more than to have new shirts out there with a KX500 on it. This idea is being pursued and once we are able to find a means for creating these shirts we will begin to distribute. I can't share the image that I've created as it isn't the final revision of what we may or may not use.

Aluminum Frame Bike?

The comment about the AF bike on the Go Fund Me page came from an individual generously offering his services and is not affiliated with KX Guru Racing. The question has come up many times in other forums and discussions regarding "why not an AF"? Simply put......Sean Collier loves the KX500. He loves the old school look, old school feel, the nostalgia and racing history of the bike, and the challenge of racing it against newer technology. We have nothing against AF bikes or their builders, if anything I myself own a CR500AF and have previously mentioned to Sean the possibility of an AF project in the future for him. But for now we will stick to the original chassis.

Do I know Sean?

Sean Collier is a close friend of mine and our relationship extends beyond motorcycles. I have made my profile picture here on VITALMX a picture of me sitting on the #207 KX500 and I could sit here and post pictures of me and Sean all day but I don't feel I need to. This project was initiated a while back when Sean and His dad bought a second KX500 to restore as a back up bike but never got the project started. When I learned of this second KX500 I offered to help Sean rebuild it and it was going to be our long term project with no outside help but then word got around that we were going to build a second bike. This is when our weekend project picked up momentum. We have been encouraged by many organizations to build this bike now so that the public can enjoy more 500cc two stroke racing.

Who is KX Guru Racing?

To answer this let me explain who I am. My roots began during the early to late 1990's when Team Green ruled the deserts and MX tracks with the KX500. I grew up and worked alongside racers such as Larry Roeseler, Ty Davis, Danny Hamel, Ted Hunnicutt, Paul Krause, etc. To this day I own a KX500 that we built here at KX Guru Racing. I was still riding KX500's when everyone was laughing while they were paying $10,000 for their new 4 stroke. The technology on my KX500 was the result of the R&D conducted by the moderator of the kxriders.com site and by Mike Weir the owner of KX Guru Racing and the moderator of kxguru.com. The reason you could not find KX Guru Racing on Google is because the website domain is kxguru.com. If you follow the link below it will take you to the thread involving Sean's build. Just a few minutes ago we changed the site header name to KX Guru Racing to alleviate the confusion. Everyone involved with KX Guru Racing have been the only ones conducting any kind of R&D on the KX500 since the Team Green days which is why Sean chose us for his build. We have developed many upgraded systems for the KX500. For example, Destry Abbott's recent KX500 project has our 2 piece clutch cover. We gave him the prototype clutch cover that accepts a KX450 clutch cover. Here is the link for Sean's build and we also have a thread going on kxriders.com. viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1170

Will these modifications be disclosed and available?

YES!! One of the motivators for getting funding and for trying to get supporters within the industry was to begin developing much needed upgrades to the KX500 for the KX500 enthusiast and to help add to the momentum that two strokes are currently experiencing. The modifications will be made available to view on kxguru.com as we document all our builds fully. For those who can't perform these mods themselves we will be offering these services for a price. We have already created and sold dozens of our 2 piece clutch covers and our buyers love them.

I hope I was able to shed some light on this project and I hope that I have provided you all with some reassurance that our intentions are good and in the interest of helping the popularity of the 2 stroke continue to grow. Below is my direct email if anyone has further questions, concerns or ideas. I also ask a favor of everyone reading this post.......if you come across any other threads here or in any other forum that need this topic clarified as well, please post a link to this thread there so that I don't have to continue explaining this in other areas. In closing you will notice that the profile picture of the Go Fund Me page is a picture of my 9 month old daughter.....well here below is a shot of Sean and me holding my daughter at this years Mammoth Mountain Motocross.....so yes, I do know Sean Collier. LOL Have a good day everyone.

EMAIL:

projectkx500@gmail.com
Sean Collier and Oscar Cota.jpg
Sean Collier and Oscar Cota.jpg (121.5 KiB) Viewed 4344 times
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Return to “Dirt Bike General Discussion”