isotropic superfinishing...

General discussion.
What's on your mind?
Friar-Tuck

isotropic superfinishing...

Post by Friar-Tuck » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:29 pm

Hey "Blaster"
I was checking out this process used in finishing gears and things and wondered if you have ever heard of this, Isotropic superfinishing.
It was sctually started in the sixties for aerospace and now is relatively affordable for the average Joe.
This is to the internals of the drivetrain what vapor blasting does to the aluminum/mag. Here is a link that explains the process. (I hope)

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Su ... 399EBDEF5C
Love to here what you think,
Take care,
Tuck\o/

Sandblaster

Re: isotropic superfinishing...

Post by Sandblaster » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:00 am

Tuck!!!
You hit the jackpot!!!
Yes, I have heard of it and have been experimenting with it for about 9 months 8-)
Currently I'm waiting for some new media to come in for another try.
I still have not been able to achieve the desired finish but I am getting closer... :geek:
In the mean time, for my next build I will send off the trans, clutch main gear, primary crank gear, idler gear, kick shaft asy, crank, rod, shift cam asy, and have it all REM micropolished.
Also gonna get the trans under cut first.
Then after the build it will go out for cryogenic treatment :shock:
So yes... it is something I have heard of and we will be offering it as a regular service once we verify the cost is worth the expense.
From what I'm hearing it's good for about a 4 hp gain on KTM 450's.
Rumor?
Myth?
We shall see... :ugeek:
If bikes are for kids I'll never grow up.

Friar-Tuck

Post by Friar-Tuck » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:59 pm

Great!
I should have said something earlier, I heard of this last year and didn't think anyone else would be interested...
Thanks and take care my good man I'll keep an eye out for your findings/work..
Tuck\o/

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:34 pm

Thanks Tuck.
Yeah, it seems that most people aren't interested but I'm interested in anything that will make my bike produce more power, last longer, run smoother, and give me shiny parts to throw at my bike :lol:

dirk_411

Post by dirk_411 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:13 pm

My newest kx tecate 4 hybrid engine that is currently being built ilr performance has almost everything that's steel in the motor micro polished including power valve linkage. Might not have a chance to review it this summer. We just had 2 kids 10 months apart. I'll be busy

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:38 pm

You will be a busy man...
I've got all new gears for my next build so I will send them along with everything else in the engine of steel construction off...
I'll even do the clutch basket main gear since I will be replacing the basket anyway..
When will this take place?
We may see your project done first :lol:

dirk_411

Post by dirk_411 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:18 am

I did the basket gear to as I run a k5 hinson basket. Engine is being built as we speak. Right now I a 1992 kx top end. I committed my future builds to the 1851 cylinder. Bought 5 of them, like 8 sets of used pv's I have 6 complete sets of new. 2 phat head racing cool heads. Ya went off the deep end. My transmission also had the back of the gears cut. I saw your video on that topic. Good vid. If I like the micro polish and back cut I will do one more engine with all my nos parts. Then everything else I own will become spare replacement parts for this engine style. You have seen my chassis before. I'm basically just swapping kx hybrid motors. Also going from 265 cc to 310cc 5mm stroker. Doing some kind of wicked tough black paint. Going to black this one out. My end game motor might be your vapor blasted job

Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:16 am

Sweet.
I can't wait to see pics of it..

Return to “Dirt Bike General Discussion”